Please don’t freak out at how long today’s Linkness is – it’s just that there’s lots of great STW news as well as the best longreads from around the internet. Rest assured, you absolutely have our permission to skip all the STW news/brags if you don’t work here!
If you only read one thing.
- There’s been a great response to James Ross-Edwards’ What is a copywriter? Should I be one? Pass it on to anyone who’s ever asked what you do for a living – or wants to do it too.
- People are mean to brands. Why can’t brands be mean to people? | BBH Labs
- Why I got fired from Facebook (a $100 million dollar lesson) | Noah Kagan’s Okdork.com
- The less-is-best approach to innovation | Harvard Business Review
- How to let your purpose find you | Harvard Business Review
- An intimate portrait of innovation, risk, and failure through Hipstamatic’s lens | Fast Company
- Think new. Think big. Think quick. | Wrestling Possums
- Dark social: we have the whole history of the web wrong | The Atlantic
- Why the Google era may be over (in other – less dramatic – words, search levels have declined for the first time) | Business Insider
- Facebook and Twitter more tempting than sex: study | SMH
- “Cowbird’s mission has always been to build a public library of human experience — and not to build another social network (the Web is full of those).” | PSFK
- Frog’s Mark Rolston: the ‘Minority Report’ interface is a ‘terrible idea’; also, remove the “computer” from computing, making it a diffused and transparent part of our daily lives | The Verge
- A terrifying human reputation market looms | The Awl
- When your fans hack your brand, praise them | Co.Design
- Nobody “goes online” anymore. (Remember, The internet IS real life)
- Pleased to meet the Facebook version of you | McSweeney’s Internet Tendency
- Quick intuitive decisions foster more charity and cooperation than slow calculated ones | Discover Magazine
- Marketing’s next five years: how to get from here to there | Advertising Age
- A must-read for planners: Communications Planning in 2013 | Only Dead Fish
- ” Just because we can make anything look arty doesn’t mean everything is art, or even interesting.” Rip off the filters – we need a naked Instagram | Wired.com
- The ad industry has all of the big budgets of Hollywood and all the manic news focus of the media, but, unlike those industries, nobody goes out of their way to congratulate ad people on all of their hard work. So the industry must constantly congratulate itself | Gawker
- 7 basic types of stories: which one is your brand telling? | Adweek
- Stand-up comedy without the stand-up. Or the comedy | NYTimes.com
On Nextness recently.
- What is a copywriter? Should I be one?
- Nextness Visual Diary | 17 October 2012
- Linkness | Emma Hetherington – thank you Emma!
- Not stiff, and not impossibly boring.
STW Group news.
- Sydney and Melbourne ranked in top ten most reputable cities: AMR’s new city reputation study’s out.
- Dipped in blue at Ford HQ with Ogilvy Public Relations Australia.
- The changing face of the TV landscape: “I don’t want to sit back and watch.” | Moon blog
- RedBubble relaunch: some nice work by Cornwell
- Ogilvy wins a new category at Caxtons.
- Ogilvy PR Melbourne appoints following new business wins.
- Ogilvy PR launches ACE, a global industry analyst community engagement service.
- Myer renews contract with Ogilvy | mUmBRELLA
- STW buys into Maverick | B&T
- Ogilvy Sydney’s creative and digital beefed up | LBBOnline
- Designworks Melbourne hires David Jenkinson as strategy director | mUmBRELLA
- Why Designwork’s Sven Baker was pinned | Australian Creative
- Andy Pilkington joins Moon as ECD | mUmBRELLA